Monday, September 29, 2008

Hospital

After my last post, on Tuesday, we had to take Lily into the hospital.  I kept her home, doing everything I knew to do, until that evening, but nothing was working.  Lily's respiratory rate (breath rate) was becoming more and more rapid.  Her coloring was very pale, and we just weren't seeing much improvement.  By 3:00 am, Wednesday morning (24 hours after I'd been awakened Tuesday morning) we were settled into our hospital room on the ICU step-down unit (it's really nice there, like the Hilton of the hospital), and both Lily and I got some sleep.  

Lily had a lot of trouble keeping her O2 levels up, especially in the morning.  We ended up doing vest treatments with her nebs, which helped a lot, but wasn't getting her over the hump.  Saturday morning we adjusted her neb schedule, and by that evening Lily had perked up significantly.  Yesterday morning, I asked what we needed to do in order to get Lily home, so Mark would be able to go back to work today.  

We were able to get Lily weaned onto a straight nasal cannula (from the heated humidified O2, MR-850), but our DME (Durable Medical Equipment) company did bring out an MR-850 set up in case we need it.  

Mornings are the worst for Lily, and this morning was no exception.  I did switch her to the MR-850, but it wasn't enough support within the parameters I was given.  I think Lily is finally coming around though, thank goodness.  It's amazing how fast kids can get sick, and how quickly they can rebound!  

I'm just so glad to be home!  Now, hopefully we can stay here and have a healthy remainder of the flu/RSV season!    

2 comments:

Foerderer Family said...

Lily is such a trooper, and you're an awesome mom. We're praying for her and you guys. Glad that you are home! Thanks for keeping us posted.

Johanna said...

Poor baby Lily. We are all praying for her! Give her big snuggles from us in the Great ND.