Oatmeal Muffins
Original recipe found here.
I have tried making the muffins about a hundred different ways, and they seem nearly impossible to mess up! Seriously, how sunny amazing would blueberry muffins be with a little lemon or orange zest in them?! It also works well to mix up the batter the night before, refrigerate overnight, and bake in the morning. My notes and adaptations are in parentheses.
* 1 c. flour (white-wheat)
* 1 t. baking powder
* 1 t. baking soda
* 1/2 t. cinnamon (1 tsp)
* 1/4 cup ground flax seed (optional)
1. Whisk together in a bowl.
* 1/2 - 1 c. brown sugar (sucanat...I use the lesser amount because I usually add pre-sweetened cereal)
* 1/2 c. oil (1/4 c oil, 1/4 c applesauce)
* 2 eggs (1 egg or equivalent egg replacer)
* 1 c. leftover oatmeal (or any other leftover hot cereal, and I have probably tried them all--even quinoa)
* 1-2 tbs. Almond/Peanut/Cashew butter (optional)
* 1/2 c. raisins (dried cranberries, blueberries, cherries chocolate chips, etc.)
* 1 t. vanilla (maple, orange, etc)
* You could even fold in some chopped walnuts or pecans if you wanted to.
2. Mix together in another bowl.
3. Combine two bowls until just moistened. Batter will be thick, but you can add a splash of rice milk if you think it needs it. Fill 2/3's full in a greased muffin tin for 18 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes about a dozen muffins. You can double this recipe.
1 comment:
Sounds delish! I think I'll try these this weekend!
Post a Comment