Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Crock Pot Wednesdays with Debbie

Photobucket

Debbie, thank you for inviting me to join in Crock Pot Wednesday this week! I decided to take you up on it. :-) Please head over to Debbie's blog to view many more delicious recipes that will entice you to dig out that slow cooker!

I'll get this out of the way first... cough I rarely use my slow cooker cough cough ....I know, I know! Slow cookers were made for busy stay at home moms just like me! Moms who homeschool, moms who don't, moms who run the Mommy Taxi service, moms with babies, moms with older kids, moms who work inside and outside the home. Yes, I know all this.

What we have failed to take into account is the lack of mouthwateringly succulent vegetarian slow cooker recipes. Maybe it's just me, but aside from the usual chilis and soups, there just isn't much out there for us herbivores.

A couple of years ago, while perusing one of my favorite places in Barnes & Noble (the vegetarian/vegan cookbook section), I spotted a cookbook I'd never seen before, Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson. SCORE!

Admittedly, I've only tried a few of the recipes. Some are fantastic, and others.....eh, so-so. Today, I'm sharing one of my favorites from the book. This is the perfect dish for Fall. It's also one entree I missed terribly after becoming a vegetarian at age 14. I even crave it intensely at times, so.......

Let me introduce [cue drumroll]

Slow-Fashioned Potpie with Biscuit Crust
Adapted from: Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

3 tbs. grapeseed oil
1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped (I loooove Vidalia)
2 large carrots, chopped
1 large celery, chopped
1 cup plus 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
1 large all-purpose potato, peeled and diced
2 - 15 oz. cans organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed (organic beans are best because beans tend to be riddled with pesticides)
1/2 cup frozen peas (or more, if you like peas)
3/4 cup vegetable broth or mock chicken broth
1 tbs soy sauce or tamari
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried savory
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp baking powder (non aluminum is best - I like Rumford Brand)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup milk (soy, rice, cow's, hemp...whatever floats your boat)

Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery, cover, and cook until softened. It takes about 5 minutes.

Transfer that mixture to a lightly oiled 3-1/2 - 4 qt. slow cooker. Stir in 2 tbs of the flour. Add the potato, chickpeas, and peas. Stir in the broth, soy sauce, thyme, and savory; then season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours (I've also done it on high for 2-1/2 hours).

About 1 hour before you're ready to serve, make the crust: In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup of flour, baking powder, soda, and 1/2 tsp salt. Quickly stir in the milk and the remaining 2 tbs of oil until just blended.

Spoon the biscuit topping over the surface (homey style) of the simmering veggies. Turn the heat setting to high, cover, and cook until the crust is cooked through, an additional hour. Serve the potpie within 10-15 minutes after the crust is finished cooking for best taste results.

Now, the potpie is super easy, and it definitely satisfies my craving. Is it as good as the Seitan potpie I make entirely from scratch (homemade whole wheat pie crust, homemade chick-mmmmm gravy, homemade seitan, homemade veggies ahem--well, you get my meaning)? No, it's not, but it's fab in a pinch!

Enjoy!









6 comments:

Mindy Skains Independant Scentsy Consultant said...

oh this does sound YUMMY... My sister just gave me a recipe for chicken and dumplings. I wonder if this would work for Veggies and dumplings. hehehehe

Queen Mommy said...

I bet it would. Chickpeas are usually a pretty good sub for diced chicken in many recipes. Seitan (wheat gluten) works too, but it's so much easier to open a can of chickpeas (or a freezer bag if cook your own dried beans).

SnoWhite said...

that sounds great! I love recipes like this.

Amanda said...

Wow. You sound like a really great cook!! I am gonna have to try this recipe...as I rarely use my slow cooker either but this recipe had me drooling a little. :)

Blessings-
Amanda

~julie said...

This sounds really good. I think I will have to try it!!

Lani K said...

I like the idea of a "Crock Pot" day - so easy & yummy.