While working on schoolwork a little bit ago, Elise was complaining about her Explode the Code worksheets (or game sheets, if you prefer). Complaining about Phonics is nothing new around here. In fact, that is precisely one reason I considered not homeschooling her this year. Anyway, after a couple of warnings to "Cut it out!" (or something like that) I finally told her if she couldn't think of something pleasant to say, then don't say anything at all. (Yep, I went there....but I digress.)
Taking it a step further, I continued that maybe we needed to play Pollyanna's Glad Game, and every time she wanted to say something negative, she should try to come up with something to be glad about instead. For example, instead of complaining how much she hates Phonics, she could say, "I'm glad these books are helping me to read faster because when I get really good at reading, then I won't have to do them anymore." (or something like that).
Elise continued bellyaching about not knowing how to look on the bright side. So, I assured her we would practice because thinking positively is a good quality, one that will serve her well the rest of her life. "And, besides," I went on, "I am getting tired of your complaining."
Would you like to hear what my almost 8 year-old said to me then? Would you?
She said, and I quote, "Then maybe you should take a nap!"
Oh, yes, she did.
She's currently in her room.
6 comments:
Oh my!! Talk about sass!
I know it is frustrating but I seriously have to laugh at the title of this post. You are too funny!
Are you going to be able to take her up on her suggestion? I'm guessing probably not. : )
I wish! But, not today. Lily has PT this afternoon, and we still have more schoolwork to do. On the bright side, Phonics is done for today (it took her about 15 minutes after she quit whining!). :-)
ha ha! oh no she di-int is right!
OHHHHH that would get a BAD response here.... Hey How on earth do you get your comments to show on your blog?. I can't for the life of me figure that out
lol Dang it kids when they get to smart for their own good!!!
That is priceless!!
Many blessings-
Amanda
oh that's hysterical!!!! she sounds like me! i was the kid when told by my mom to pick up my room..."i can't. it's too heavy." i remember spending some quality time in my room for that one. haha!
Post a Comment