Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Realization

I came to a realization yesterday.

In my heart of hearts, I am not a fun mom.

I am not one of those types who wants her couch cushions trampled on, so her kids can make forts out of them (that's how my last couch got wrecked...well, that, and an unfortunate incident involving Leah and a Sharpie). I do not want my living room floor cluttered with every single cotton pickin' toy we have in the house. I cringe at my husband's idea to build a climbing wall in our 2-story entry way. I don't like mess. I don't like doing 5 extra loads of laundry each week because my daughters want to change clothes 4 times a day. And, I really, really don't like mud.

Yet, despite all of this, I also desire to nurture my children's creativity. Leah and Lily are both exceedingly imaginative and resourceful when it comes to their toys and play. I don't want to stifle that, but I do have to assist them in reorganizing the mess when they're finished. Elise has the big ideas. Currently, she's planning a princess tea party to be held in our front yard....

...at some point in the future....

...whenever I get around to baking cupcakes for it.

I want to be a fun mom. I pray that God will help me to be a fun mom. And, sometimes, I have to bite my tongue when I want to say "no" to one of their harebrained schemes.

So, yesterday, while Lily and I were lazing around with our coughing and fuzzy heads, I told Elise and Leah they could water my plants in the backyard.

Now, if you knew my children, you'd pretty much know that anytime water is involved, there's likely to be trouble. Still, I hoped not too much trouble.

Elise soon tired of watering plants, and began using water to clean out the old sandbox. (We had told them we'd try to get new sand for it this year.) I suspected this could be trouble, but I was still hoping for the best.

Then I overheard my daughters say something about mud. And, I saw they were wearing their bathing suits. Then I thought, "Oh, how much mess can they make?"

I'll let the photos speak for themselves....












I was going to use the hose to spray them off. Unfortunately, the hose didn't survive the winter.




The watering can performed admirably though.




And, all the while, sweet, little Lily watched from the rocking chair.


3 comments:

Sally said...

I love it! I can really relate! Although, I must confess that a climbing wall would be fun...

renee said...

there are 45 bajillion ways that i love this!!! way to go you for you, mom!!!

Alicia said...

I don't think I am a very fun mom either. I think it stems from being nervous about getting things in her trach. Hopefully I will get over this soon, as she is blossoming in her creativity and imagination when she plays.

I love the pictures! Leah and Elise did a GREAT job!