Leah had her tonsils and adenoids removed on Monday. We checked into the hospital at 6:15 am, and we were home by noon. She was very brave. Several times after finding out she would need to have them taken out, Leah asked me about the surgery and what would happen to her. I explained the best I could. Thankfully, or sadly, depending on your viewpoint, we have a much greater understanding of how the surgical process works than the average folk. I was able to explain to her all about checking into the hospital, anesthesia, (I skimmed over the cutting out of the tonsils pretty fast) to mommy and daddy being able to be with her as soon as she woke up, to getting lots of ice cream and popsicles and pain medicine to help with her sore throat.
On the day of surgery, Leah told several people that she was going to have her tonsils taken out. She happily played with Barbies, My Little Ponies, and the doll house while we waited for the OR to be ready for her. Following surgery, Leah got to pick a movie to watch (she chose Cinderella) while having her popsicles. Waking up to an IV in her arm was an unpleasant surprise for her, but I am always thankful they don't put them in until the kids are asleep from the gas.
You know your kids have been in the hospital one too many times when they start counting all the things they want to do WHILE there. I think Leah had the idea she would be there LONGER. So, when the nurse told us we could go home if we were comfortable, Leah said, "No, I want to watch another movie and play with play-dough." She was also rather disappointed that she didn't get to keep her hospital jammies. (Lily has a couple of pairs of them from our numerous trips and stays).
All-in-all, we've had our moments, but Leah has been a trouper. She hates the liquid pain meds though, so sometimes I have to make her take them. When she starts spitting out her saliva instead of swallowing, I know we've gone too long between doses! Poor baby.
Our week has been filled with coloring, rainbow sherbet, PBS, popsicles, Wall-E (it came out on DVD Tuesday), juice boxes, Anne of Green Gables, more popsicles, more sherbet, and lots of snuggling in our jammies. Oh, and ice packs! Thank goodness for the ice wraps Mark bought for his knees several years ago. They've been a lifesaver!
On to More Surgery
My mom had surgery Monday as well. (No, we didn't plan it that way!) She had an elbow scope to scrape out the scar tissue that had developed there. Her surgeon felt that was, perhaps, the reason my mom's range of motion has been exceedingly slow in returning. Even almost 6 months post op, she still really hadn't been able to increase it. The pain had gotten much worse too and was radiating into her shoulder.
It's been a couple of days since I talked to my mom, but even a few short hours after surgery, her range of motion had improved. She also told me the pain was less than it had been since the injury itself. We hope and pray this takes care of it, and additional surgeries won't be needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment