Monday, March 31, 2008

Yes, Elise, you CAN have a banana split for breakfast!

Those were my words to Elise this morning when she told me she'd like a banana split for breakfast.  My version is "almost" vegan (I say almost because I don't bother buying vegan sugar--too expensive--and there's a small drizzle of honey) and quite healthy!  Banana split boats would make it even prettier, I suppose, but the girls really didn't care.  They ate it right up anyway!  



We also had a tea party at breakfast this morning.  It was quite fancy.  The girls wore "their best."  Leah was hamming it up today!  



Lily looks like maybe she needs a nap....


"Take my picture now, Mommy!"

Recipe for Breakfast Banana Splits:

Make hot cereal of choice (we used Malt-o-Meal sweetened with a bit of brown sugar or pure maple syrup).

Slice bananas in half length-wise and width-wise.  Place 2 quarters in each bowl.  Add a dollop of jam, crushed pineapple, or frozen fruit, slightly thawed (raspberry & cherry jam were our choices today).   

Then top with whipped cream.  Today I used whipped coconut cream sweetened with a bit of powdered sugar, so it would be a little sweeter for the girls.    (To make whipped coconut cream:  just buy unsweetened coconut cream--I have the Savoy brand--and whip with an electric mixer.  Sweeten or add flavor as desired.)  

No comments: