Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Happy Birthday Lily & Leah Part V

Happy 5th Birthday Lily & Leah!

This is the Dora mermaid cake the girls have been talking about for months! I enlisted Mark to help me with the fondant creatures. He made Dora, all of the plants, starfish, and the clam with the pearl. I made the octopus and tinted all of the icing and fondant. The cake itself is a white cake with fresh strawberry filling and strawberry almond buttercream. Accents are all homemade fondant. Unfortunately, Dora looks decidedly "caucasian" because I didn't have the right food coloring to tint her skin. I decided pale Dora would be better than jaundiced Dora, and the girls never even noticed.

Lily opening presents. I finally got smart and made them open one at a time so I could get better pictures!


Leah holding up her present from Elise. Elise really wanted to get her sisters a present, so she spent some of her own money to buy them each something special.

A little doll from mommy and daddy to play with in their new dollhouse!

Is that what I think it is?!

Yes, it's Mermaid Dora!!

Video chatting with Auntie Lavon and Uncle Kevin.



Elise really wanted to make special party hats for everyone. There was one for each of us, plus grandma and grandpa. And, why is it, that right before we're about to sing Happy Birthday both girls were in tears? Do you know? Me neither!

It took a few tries, but she finally blew those candles out.

Zoey got in on the fun too (that would be Leah's plate she's licking clean).

Girls with grandma and grandpa.


5 comments:

Madison Sanders said...

I just read your comment about your daughter, Lilly, not walking until she was 3 1/2 on MckMama's blog. I'm 19 and I have cerebral palsy(CP). It's expected that kids with disabilities will doing some things later than others, likke walking. I, too didn't walk until I was that age. I'm a twin too. We're fraternal. I'm in college now, so I just want to encourgage you that things will get better. My brother is perfectly healthy, he just had to be oxygen for six months when he came home. I came home before he did, which was a miracle. Well, that's all for now. If you want to know more, just ask!
Madison

-stephanie- said...

I too just read your comment on MckMamas blog. I hate when people are rude then don't put their name down. I'm sorry you had to get such a mean comment.

A word of encouragement: Be thankful that God gave you these beautiful girls, and not to mean old, uncaring, no name commenter.
And by looking at their pictures, I mean cute, cute, and cute! Did I mention cute? :o)

Wendy said...

Thank you for sharing this story with us. Your girls are all 3 beautiful, just like you!

Johanna said...

I love this: "I decided pale Dora would be better than jaundiced Dora." Of course jaundiced Dora would make a great episode! Pictures are amazing, hard to believe it has been 5 years, just doesn't seem that long...

Cascia Talbert said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful girls! My daughter turns three on January 31 and she is a huge Dora fan too. She loved the photos of the Dora cake.

I just found your blog and thought I would pay you a visit. You have a very nice blog here!