On this Monday, here are a few things I'm glad about....
I'm ever so glad and thankful that Lily is alive.
I'm glad to be able to sleep in my own bed at night.
I'm glad for oxygen concentrators, the vest, neb machines, and the ultimate in stethoscopes.
I'm glad to know that the nurse at our pulmonology office (B) is only a short email away! (She was on vacation last week and is back today).
I'm glad that the rest of my family is mostly feeling better again.
I'm glad we were all able to rest so much over the weekend.
I'm glad my husband has such a great job and an awesome boss who allowed him to take off the time he needed while Lily was in the hospital.
I'm glad my IL's were able to come and stay with Mark and the girls while I was in the hospital with Lily.
I'm glad for so many friends and family members, and people I've yet to meet in real life who have prayed for us and cared for us during this time. Each one of you holds a special place in my heart, and I don't know how to thank you enough!
**And, I'm glad, glad, glad no one in my house has lice!**
I'm sure I could come up with a million other things to be glad about too, but I'll stop for now.
To give you a quick update on how things are going here...
If you don't follow me on FB, you probably don't know that Lily was confirmed to have H1N1 and pneumonia. She was discharged last Thursday, with instructions to come back if her breathing effort worsened. We took her off O2 completely on Thursday, and Lily spent the entire day in room air. That evening, her O2 sats were dipping, so I fired up the concentrator. After 10 minutes of running, it alarmed "call for service." I tried again with the same results. By this time, I had hooked Lily up to an O2 tank, which isn't my favorite solution, but it's better than no oxygen. I called the DME company (durable medical equipment), and they agreed to come out in the morning (Friday) with a new concentrator.
Our vest set-up arrived from Hill-ROM on Friday, and we've been using it ever since. I love it, but Lily doesn't. Although, I did adjust the settings, so they aren't quite as aggressive as they were in the hospital, which has helped with her tolerance.
Lily has been on anywhere from 1L of O2 all the way up to 5L (which is what she is on right now), and her sats are in the low to mid 90s. We are still doing nebs 4-5 times a day. Last night (technically this morning since it was 2 am) Lily had a coughing spell with de-sats that lasted for over an hour. I gave her 2 nebs and finally a popsicle to help calm her croupy cough and soothe her poor throat. I'm glad we were finally all able to sleep for a few more hours.
**After I finally fell asleep again, I dreamt about lice. My head still itches just thinking about it.....maybe you had to be there....or just be glad you weren't!**
7 comments:
Wow- what a roller coaster for you guys!
I don't wish for the extra medical hardships that families like yours go through, but we have often wished we could get oxygen at home, sigh... it would save the trip to the ER every time one of our girls just needs a couple hours of help, till more meds kick in... sitting in the ER for hours on oxygen when they're bad enough to need it, but not bad enough to need to be admitted, can be sooo frustrating...
But I can be very thankful that we've pulled through every asthma scare, especially the last one, I think my heart almost stopped when they said 'she may need to be intubated'...
Also, I'm thankful for no flu so far!
Enjoy them (your children!)-
ali
Since I'm not a Facebooker I'm GLAD you posted here on Blogger!! :) Happy to *hear* you are back home!! YEAH!!
So scary that H1N1 stuff is :( YUCK! I think my household had/has it. I got Nathan on tamiflu right away before he got any worse.
Take care!! {{hugs}}
I am glad you are home and loving life again with your wonderful girls! And, I'm glad you're glad!! : )
I hope Lily continues to improve and not have any more coughing spells. Those are so tough, on both kiddo and mama.
You guys are all in my prayers constantly.
We've got the pulse oximeter, and I'm so very grateful for it, but every time we have brought up oxygen at home, we've been told no... with no real discussion about it...
Oh well, hang in there with your little one! It could be a very long winter...
such an answer to prayer!!! ah, home is good. and so is your own bed...but dreams of lice...not so much! ew. glad lily is getting better and the rest of your fam as well!!! hope you get some more much needed rest!!!
SO glad to hear she is home and doing better!
I am so thankful that you are now on the uphill part of the battle... lots still to go through I am sure... but YEAH that there is recovery imminent!
Blessings-
Amanda
Post a Comment