Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A few of my favorite Christmas things...

Pulling out all of the decorations, like this nativity set, given to us by one of Lily's old homecare nurses.  Her son had outgrown it, and she thought we might appreciate it.  Thank you so much! 




Decorating the tree.  It was Elise's turn to put the top on this year.


A few favorite decorations:

This one Mark made out of pipe cleaners at a work party.  Cute, isn't it?!

My s'mores man!

The snowman Aunt Sharon made for us one year.  
(I have several others as well, but some of my pictures weren't the right file type, and I was having difficulty loading them.  Oh well, another time.)

My Christmas Cactus.  

Last year it didn't bloom until Valentines Day because I didn't know you aren't supposed to water them for a month if you want them to bloom.  This year it was right on time!


The Christmas Display at Macy's:
This year they did "A Day in the Life of an Elf."  


I took this picture of the girls afterward.  None of them would smile the entire time we walked through the display.  Seriously, you'd think it was tortuous for them to walk through it (even though I know how much they enjoy it)!  Anyway, after we'd walked through, we got gingerbread cookie treats, then I attempted one last picture.  (Essentially, yes, I bribed my children with cookies to get them to smile for me!)

Elise's Christmas program at church.

She was a peasant in the choir.



Our brand new Christmas tree Mark got on Christmas Eve.  It's beautiful!  7-1/2 feet, pre-lit wispy pine.  A $200 tree marked down to $35!  WOW!  The girls were so excited they took all the ornaments off the little tree and put them on this one.  Of course, we don't have nearly enough ornaments to decorate this big tree, so it looks a little naked.  Oh well.  We have lots of time for making ornaments next year!  

This house!  No, it's not our house.  I wish!  Actually, I was driving home from Lily's PT appointment one evening.  The roads were really bad, and what would normally be a 10-15 minute drive took over an hour.  Then, when I finally made it to our street, I couldn't turn in.  Police cars, a tow truck, and at least 2-3 other cars were blocking the road.  There was no way to squeeze in and too many cars behind me to just wait, so I had to go around.  Going around means I had to drive another couple of miles out of my way.  On the way back to our house, I caught a glimpse of a house that appeared to be decorated like a castle.  So, on Christmas evening, Mark and I drove by it again.  Impressive!









No comments: