It was a quiet day with just us. Mark's mom had to work, and my family was in ND. We had no place to be, no plans at all, in fact.
Except, that I planned to make a Thanksgiving feast all by myself.
My morning began at 5:30 am with starting the bread in the bread machine. Then I got the cranberry-walnut stuffing/dressing going in the slow cooker.
Moving on to the homemade seitan roast. Oops! Forgot to buy more onion powder at the store. Oh well, I'll just chop an onion, saute it a bit, and grind it up in the Magic Bullet with the rest of the wet ingredients. No problem (and, it wasn't!).
Time to cut, scrape, peel and chop a butternut squash or two for the butternut squash casserole. (The recipe is for a sweet potato pie casserole, but I was out of sweet potatoes, so I replaced with the squash). I won't even miss the pumpkin pie after eating this! (Mark sort of boycotts orange vegetables, not consciously necessarily. It just seems as though he doesn't like anything edible that color, unless it's some sort of pepper.)
Making the cranberry sauce. So easy, and I've always wanted to try the variation with apple cider in place of the water. Yummy!
Got the apple crisp in the oven, and now it's time to watch a little football before I start the mashed potatoes. Whew! My. Feet. Are. Sore!
Gravy is done. Had to make my own fake "chicken" seasoning though. And, I'm dangerously low on coarse kosher salt (my salt of choice most of the time). A small squirt of Bragg Liquid Aminos (unfermented soy sauce) did the trick. Perfect!
Okay, potatoes are peeled and boiling.
Oh wait...it's possible I should change out of my pajamas too. (Hey, I've been just a wee bit busy this morning!)
Time to smash the potatoes and add in the sour cream and cream cheese. Dee-lish!
And, it's eating time!
It took 8 hours to prepare it all and about 20 minutes to eat, but that's okay. It was a fun, relaxed day. No one was rushing, the girls played happily. The Detroit Lions were slaughtered, and I don't have to cook anything for the next couple of days. Sabbath lunch will be leftovers with Mark's family! YIPPEE!
Mark's comment was that this was the first Thanksgiving he can remember where he didn't have turkey at all. It was also my first Almost Vegan Thanksgiving. I did use real butter in some of the recipes (it was cheaper than buying all that Earth Balance), and we had ice cream with our apple crisp, but I did have vegan caramel sauce to top it with.
Hope you all had a wonderful day as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment